Movie critic Roger Ebert just released Ebert’s 10 Best Movies of 2005. Don’t be fooled by the title, though. After giving a synopsis of his ten favorite films he goes on to recommend fifty-eight more of this year’s best.
I’m sad to say I’ve only seen five of these titles so far – especially considering how much I love a good movie. However, I do plan on keeping the list handy as I head to the theaters, video stores and libraries in the coming months. The complete list is below. It’s more for my use than yours, as I plan to cross each film off as I see it. Visit Roger Ebert’s site for a more detailed listing with a plot synopsis for each title.
Ebert’s Top Ten
1. Crash ? – Worth seeing, but also chosen as the worst film of 2005.
2. Syriana ?
3. Munich ?
5. Brokeback Mountain ?
6. Me and You and Everyone We Know
7. Nine Lives
8. King Kong ? – A great adventure movie but way too long.
11. The Best of Youth
12. Broken Flowers ?
13. Cinderella Man ?
15. Duane Hopwood
16. Good Night, and Good Luck ? – Amazing.
17. Match Point
18. North Country ? – Almost too upsetting to watch.
19. The New World
20. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada ?
21. Pride & Prejudice ? – Needed subtitles to understand English.
Special Jury Awards
22. The Ballad of Jack and Rose
23. Batman Begins ?
24. Bee Season
26. Capote ?
27. The Constant Gardener ?
28. Fear and Trembling
30. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ?
32. A History of Violence ? Over-rated.
33. Hustle & Flow ? – Superficial, but fun.
34. Last Days
35. Lord of War ? – Very cool.
36. The Memory of a Killer
37. The Merchant of Venice
38. Mysterious Skin
41. Proof ? – Excellent.
43. Schultze Gets the Blues ? – Boring. Only watched half.
44. Shopgirl ? _ Did Steve Martin just write this so he could kiss Clair Danes? Yuck!
45. Sin City ? – Very cool.
46. The Squid and the Whale ? – Sorry Rog. This movie sucks.
47. The Upside of Anger
48. Turtles Can Fly
49. Walk the Line ? – Spoiler: The drug addict gets the girl.
50. The World
51. Grizzly Man
52. Aliens of the Deep
53. Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
54. Gunner Palace ? – Eye-opening depiction of life in Iraq.
55. March of the Penguins ?
57. No Direction Home: Bob Dylan ? – Puts the legend in context.
58. Tell Them Who You Are
59. Touch the Sound
60. The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Best Animated Films
61. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit ? – I fell asleep.
62. Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride
63. Robots ? – Cute.
Overlooked Films of 2005
64. Off the Map
65. The Weather Man
68. The Woodsman