I really needed to see these comments. I’m so thankful to know that I had a positive impact on my students despite not always being in the best frame of mind. I expected this semester to be much easier but having time to reflect on the loss of my mother often left me feeling depressed during the most unexpected times. It seemed that every day I was somehow reminded of my mother and father and everything we had been through a year earlier. Things keep getting easier, though and these comments helped remind me why I love to teach.
Responses from MUS1650 Guitar for Music Therapy
• He is a wonderful teacher and a fantastic guitar player. You know that he can play all the songs he is teaching us in his sleep, but he slows them down and makes everything very accessible.
• I love this class.
• I really appreciate the fact that the class was different styles of playing and how to spice things up, besides just learning chords and how to get sound out.
• John Horne is a patient, effective teacher. He finds the weakest link in our abilities and works thoroughly to improve our skill. He uses time efficiently and maintains and enjoyable, teachable environment at all time.
• This class is one of my favorites!
Responses from MUS1651 Guitar for Non-Majors
• Great class and great professor!
• I enjoyed the class even though i am an experienced guitar player. Professor Horne broke down songs and guitar playing methods in ways i never thought of and he made them so clear and easy to understand. Before this class i barely knew how to finger pick but now I know several different methods and have been getting better at them every time i practice. Overall this was a very enjoyable class and Professor Horne is a great teacher.
• I love John Horne as a guitar teacher. He’s very patient which is definitely needed in the profession.
• I really enjoyed this class. I was a self-taught guitarist up until this point and Professor Horne has definitely taught me skills that I was not aware of. This class is extremely fun and rewarding if you put the effort into it. I wish that there were more “non-major” guitar classes, since it served as a nice break from other tedious classes. Overall, I would and have recommended this class to anyone who is even remotely interested in learning more about music and the guitar.
• I thought that this class was fun and a nice break from all my dryer, boring classes. I have always wanted to learn to play and was very pleased with John Horne’s teaching. He was super helpful and enthusiastic. He showed a real knowledge about guitar.